Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Pet Issues - Philosophy On Animal Behavior

My name is Keris Eure and I've worked in the pet grooming business for over 15 years.

I've worked at "Mom & Pop" salons, corporate salons, volunteered for rescues, owned and managed my own salon, and write a blog about animal concerns. I am a naturalist, meaning that I much prefer to do things in a natural way, working with nature the way it was created to be and has naturally evolved rather than fabricated, synthetic means.

Animals have their own form of intelligent, structured communication and social protocol. Dogs are the most domesticated animal on Earth and we as humans have taken much for granted in recent generations and have lost the essence of their true nature. This has resulted in profuse misunderstanding of dogs as pets.

Ive spent my entire career dealing with simple ignorance... People just don't understand WHY Fluffy or Spot acts the way they do....
They believe that animals are SUPPOSED to hate the groomer or the vet or nail clipping... and this just isn't so!
So I decided it was time to offer the specific service of Intervention Education!
I help assess your pet's issues and help you, and the animal, understand what's really going on.
I try to offer you solutions to make life better, happier, and more effective for us all.
I offer and assist you with many techniques including calming energy techniques and Pet Massage as simple, often times magical solutions to almost every pet issue!

It breaks my heart to see so many dogs labeled as "bad" or "mean" or "difficult" when they are simply misunderstood, much like if you were in a foreign country and did not speak the language of everybody around you. And when you did try to communicate or behave instinctively, or see your own kind and attempted to communicate with them you were scolded and separated.

I feel that it is our human rite and privilege to be responsible for these beautiful creatures.
This means it is also our responsibility to educate ourselves. Natural evolution would demand of us to consider understanding rather than resist and destroy what we cannot understand and control.

Dogs are very intelligent. They have feelings and thoughts and are emotional just as all living beings are, but that does not mean that these characteristics function the same way as our human characteristics do. Animals have so much to teach us about ourselves! But we cannot learn if we refuse to open our hearts and minds to understanding them as unique beings. And this is the approach I use to help people deal with their "animal issues".

​Dogs are not always foo foo and tail wagging when they communicate with each other. This does not mean that they are behaving badly.

So what does it mean?

A wise person will take the time to find out... to realize that it does mean something... take the time to grow and expand their own consciousness.... take time to be genuinely responsible for the life of an animal that is completely dependant upon them for.... everything.
This dependency was created by us, by human beings. We are responsible.

Most often, the problems we have with our pets are directly connected to something in us - something about our patterns or behaviors.... something in our own psyche that is only noticeable in the way we deal with our dogs. Or in the way our dogs deal with us.
A lot of people do not want to go that deep into their pet's behavior! It's too scary to examine ourselves!

But ultimately, I feel that this is the dog's greatest gift to humanity, to reflect back our own self as no other creature can. This is the true story behind their title of "Man's Best Friend". No other animal in any part of our known history is like the dog. After a while, they even start to look like us!

My personal philosophy is that as the higher, more evolved being, I should take it upon myself to understand my animal companion's language and social protocol, and do all that I can to complement her life, rather than constantly struggle to force her to be something she is not. Dogs are by nature loving, caring and family oriented. Why not acknowledge that and use it as a bridge to greater understanding so that their life and ours can be knit together in a very functional, fulfilling relationship?

​True love is not filled with pity. Animals do not pity one another.

If we become proactive and educated about the animal community rather than pitying or feeling sorry for all the ignorance and abuse... We become much more effective at home, in the community and the world.​

Can you imagine ENJOYING your dog rather than just "coping" with him!?

This is what I do.
Help you understand your dog.
This is what Pet Groomer 911 is all about.
​It's not a game of baby talk. Dogs don't do that.
"Positive Reinforcement" is often misunderstood and mis-used.
Dogs growl, bite, scratch, rip and tear.....
Dogs communicate differently.
Dogs only act aggressively under very specific circumstances. There are different types of "aggressive" behavior. And if they feel the need to be aggressive, baby talk may not be the right answer to give them.

As Cesar Millan so beautifully puts it, "be calm and assertive".
There is a huge difference between "calm" and "passive", between "assertive" and "aggressive",.

I nor anyone I may ever work with enters into combat with animals. That leads to abuse. That is what we want to change, thru education and understanding.

Choke chains, pinch collars, shock collars...... None of these are real solutions.

Grooming so many different dogs with so many different backgrounds has taught me a lot! So many dogs that used to be sedated for grooming or muzzled or turned away.... are completely different dogs now because I took the time to understand them, listen to them and reassure them that all people are not deaf to their language.

I always reserve the right to refuse service. I know when a dog or other animal's situation is beyond me! I will not endanger myself or an animal or anyone working with me. I DO NOT reinforce aggression or other undesirable behaviors. If I know I can't do it right, I prefer not to do it at all.

No nonsense.
Results.
Genuine, heart-felt help.
PG911.

No comments:

Post a Comment